French Onion Soup Braised Beef Short Ribs
French Onion Soup
These rich and flavorful Braised Beef Short Ribs made with our French Onion Soup are fall-off-the-bone tender and delicious! An excellent choice for a simple yet decadent meal for any special occasion.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
- 4 Opti-packs Cuisine Adventures French Onion Soup
- 4 units (300g/each) Beef short ribs
- 2 tbsp (30ml) Olive oil
- 1 cup (250ml) Red wine
- 4 cups (1 l) Brown veal stock
- 1 cup (250ml) Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) Celery, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, smashed
- 1 tsp (5ml) Dry thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large oven-safe pot over a medium high heat.
- Season the ribs with salt and pepper and fry the ribs in the oil in two batches, to sear the meat. This should take 5 to 7 minutes. Set ribs aside.
- In the same pot , add carrots, celery, garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and stir with the thyme.
- Deglaze the pot with the red wine, scraping up all a bits on the bottom.
- Add the stock and the onion soup pucks (with top layer of cheese removed), bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Add the ribs and continue to simmer for 2 hours, until the sauce thickens.
Can be served with mashed potatoes, risotto, or a squash purée.